Toronto, February 17, 2021 – Canadian families should fasten their seatbelts in preparation to have their senses dazzled by the sights, tastes and sounds of some of the world’s most inspiring countries — but hold the suitcases! With no international travel in the books this spring, global food brands, Patak’s, Blue Dragon, and Al’Fez, are coming together to take families on a six-day adventure at tasteadventure.ca. The itinerary is packed full of mouth-watering recipes along with fun-filled activities and games that explore the culture and history of destinations in Northern Africa, Middle East and Asia.
The Taste Adventure series invites passengers to explore a new country each day of Spring Break. With touchdowns in India, Thailand and the Middle East, families will enjoy unique experiences like a Bollywood dance lesson or learning how to master chopsticks. Mini language lessons, Spotify playlists featuring national music, and live camera feeds will round out each day’s adventure along with interesting facts, activities, crafts and games, geared to a variety of ages. And we can’t forget the best part of any trip — the food! The daily menu board allows families to bring the taste and smells of each country into their own home courtesy of easy-to-prepare recipes using Patak’s, Blue Dragon, and Al’Fez high-quality sauces, marinades, pastes and kits.
“We are so excited to offer this fun Spring Break experience to families at a time when travel is limited due to the coronavirus pandemic,” explains Natalia Goderich, marketing lead for Patak’s Canada. “While we know it doesn’t replace a trip abroad, we hope that our Taste Adventure series provides some of those aspects of travel that help kids thrive.” In fact, travel impacts all areas of a child’s life, with research demonstrating that junior globe-trotters tend to do better in school, be more independent, and have higher self-esteem. Further, sampling global fare, whether on an actual trip or at their own dining table, teaches children about other cultures and traditions, making them more empathetic and culturally sensitive.
“Experimenting with food from around the world is also a healthy choice for families,” adds Aditi Burman, marketing lead for Blue Dragon Canada. “It not only keeps meals delicious and interesting, but children who are exposed to a variety of flavours early in life tend to be more willing to try new things, allowing for a more varied, nutrient-rich diet down the road. With a common vision to making new recipes easy, we’re excited that together with Patak’s and Al’Fez, we’re able to provide families with new, healthy culinary inspiration from around the globe during this promotion.”
The Brands Behind the Taste Adventure
Authenticity is at the heart of all Patak’s products. The brand was founded in 1957 by the Pathak family after they immigrated to the UK with less than ten dollars in their pocket. They made a living by selling traditional Indian food that they cooked from old family recipes with spices and ingredients that they imported from India. Likewise, Blue Dragon was founded in the UK in the seventies to answer the scarcity of ingredients available in stores, to make authentic Asian dishes. Today, the brand scours Asia to bring new and exciting recipes and ingredients into homes all over the world. Excitingly, Al’Fez is the newest line of products to join Patak’s and Blue Dragon on the global foods market. Developed from the same passion for authentic, traditional dishes, Al’Fez is the result of food enthusiast, Sam Jacobi’s, inspiration to re-create the tastes and smells of his childhood in the Middle East. Now, Canadian palates can delight in the robust flavours of Moroccan and Lebanese cuisine courtesy of Al’Fez range of pastes, sauces, marinades and kits.
Win Some Delicious Prizes!
To get started on raising the next generation of global eaters, families can visit tasteadventure.ca until April 19 to answer a short quiz for a chance to win one of ten Taste Adventure gift baskets full of Patak’s, Blue Dragon, and Al’Fez products.
To really jumpstart their foray into global cuisine, families can also enter to win the grand prize—a $1,000 grocery gift card — by posting a photo of the dish they made over the course of their Spring Break culinary travels, to Instagram with the hashtag #TasteAdventure and #Contest.
For full contest details visit tasteadventure.ca
Thai cuisine is known for using fresh herbs and vegetables to achieve a great depth of flavour, and this recipe is no exception.
– ¼ pack (62.5 g) of Blue Dragon Rice Noodles
– 4 Blue Dragon Spring Roll Wrappers
– 4 Boston bibb lettuce leaves
– 1/4 cup (30.5 g) carrots, julienned
– 1/2 cup (59.5 g) cucumbers, julienned
– 12 mint leaves
– 12 cilantro leaves
– 12 pre-cooked shrimp, tails removed
– Blue Dragon Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce, for dipping
1. Cook the rice noodles according to package directions; refresh under cold water and drain; set aside.
2. Using one at a time, place wrapper into hot water until it is soft and pliable (about 5-10 seconds). Remove wrapper from water and blot on a damp tea towel.
3. Arrange lettuce, noodles, carrot, cucumber, and 3 mint leaves in the middle of the wrapper. Above that, place 3 cilantro leaves and 3 shrimp in a row.
4. Fold wrapper around lettuce and noodles, then continue rolling to cover shrimp. Fold in the sides of the wrapper and then continue to roll upwards to form a log shape. Repeat for three remaining spring rolls.
5. Serve with a side of Blue Dragon Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce for dipping.
Shawarma Spiced Beef Wrap with Harissa Mayonnaise
Traditionally shawarma is made with lamb, but feel free to try it with various meats such as chicken or beef. You can serve this delicious meat with rice, Al‘Fez Tabouleh, or place in a wrap to re-create this fun street food experience at home.
– 0.88 lb. (400 g) beef steak, sliced
– 1 red bell pepper, sliced
– 1 green bell pepper, sliced
– 1 red onion, sliced
– 1 jar Al’Fez Shawarma Marinade
– 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Al’Fez Harissa Paste
– 1 cup (250 mL) Mayonnaise
– 8 tortilla wraps
– 2 cups salad greens
– 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil
– Pickled chillies (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, marinate sliced beef, peppers and red onion with Al’Fez Shawarma Marinade. Keep in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
2. In a frying pan heat olive oil and cook the marinated beef and peppers on high heat until the beef and pepper mix is cooked. Season to taste.
3. In a separate mixing bowl add Al’Fez Harissa Paste and mayonnaise and mix well to make harissa spiced mayonnaise.
4. Heat one tortilla wrap. Place some salad leaves on the heated wrap and then the cooked beef mix. Drizzle with harissa mayonnaise. Fold to form a wrap. Repeat this process with remaining tortillas and remaining beef mix.
Turkey Keema Pav
Did you know that Keema Pav is the Indian version of Sloppy Joe’s? You can swap the meat with chicken if you prefer that over turkey.
– 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) oil
– 1.65 lb. (750 g) turkey mince
– 1 jar (400 mL) Patak’s Tikka Masala Sauce
– ¾ cup (100 g) frozen green peas
– 6 brioche buns
– 4 ¼ Tbsp. (60 g) butter
– 1 red onion, diced, for garnish
– 3 Tbsp. (8 g) fresh coriander, chopped, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add turkey mince and cook until seared.
2. Add tikka masala sauce to the mince and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until turkey mince is cooked. Add green peas to the mince and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes. Check seasoning.
3. Slice brioche buns in half and grill on large pan with butter.
4. Garnish Keema with diced red onion and freshly chopped coriander. Serve with grilled brioche buns.
About Patak’s, Blue Dragon and Al’Fez